Internal Threat Landscape
In today’s world, more and more customer data is being found on servers, desktops and laptops which contain critical information that can promote a company’s growth or destroy the company in an instant. Furthermore, the risk extends beyond the private sector to the public sector and anyone in their homes receiving services from one of these infrastructure entities.
FBI’s Cyber Threat Report 2011 identifies the following as the top threats to computer systems in the U.S.:
- Data Disposal or Compromise
- Threats to Information Security
- Flooding or Network Storage Facility
- Maintenance or Repair
The top 10 threats to your company’s internal systems, according to the 2011 FBI Cyber Threat Report, are:
- Listed below, these Additionally, the number one way that data is compromised is when a hacker steals or damages data that is intended to be protected, such as when a company loses a hard drive or a computer.
- Tens of thousands of computers are infected with viruses and external hard drives are stolen. In approximately one out of every five cases, the internal data is trust worthy and is transferred to a new computer platform – which can be a total disaster for the company.
- However, even if a company loses a computer or hard drive, there are number of ways that they can mitigate risk. One of the best ways, and which is becoming more popular, is to house data within another device such as a thumb drive.
- This way, even if a hard drive fails, the data is safe. It is actually safer for the company to use an external hard drive since, should a machine go down, all the information and files on the machine will still be safe.
- Internal threats, however, remain a concern. A lot of data, often times, is stored in one area of the company where it is easy to compromise. Internal threats such as unauthorized use of information systems or inadvertent deletion of files on protected computers.
- To protect your company, you should look into using measures to protect your data, including encrypting it.
- Including encryption in data flow and deletion policies.
- McAfee Corporation offers Anti-Virus solutions as well as Data Protection solutions for businesses. They offer a comprehensive suite of products that allow you to easily deliver powerful digital security solutions.
- These products also utilize hard drive encryption technology, securely storing your company’s data in a safe and sound environment while ensuring that authorized users have access to authorized areas of the system.
- McAfee also offers recovery services, should your site crash and you lose your data. They have a team of experts that are on stand-by to help you recover your files and a technician will provide initial on-site support for up to 72 hours.
To ensure that your company stays protected, McAfee uses several layers of technology to ensure that you are always protected.
- First, they use products to protect the perimeter of the network, ensuring that users have access to authorized areas.
- Second, they use anti-malware software to protect users from viruses and other malware that may compromise user performance and the safety of the network.
- Third, they maintain a list of possible malicious attacks and potential threats. Everything from phishing attacks to denial of service attacks are all documented in this database. And, should your poker88 website ever crash, they have a team of experts who are on stand-by to help ensure that repairs are made and your site is back up and running.